Dear Sir, As a former Canvey Islander of some many years since, it troubles me when I read of the current issues facing the current residents.
Through the internet I am able to follow the local and National news items.
Watching the Andrew Marr show on BBC i-player George Osborne and Ed Balls made clear the current austerity issues and the high levels of cut backs facing the UK citizens for many years to come.
In contrast through the Echo website I am both impressed and puzzled by the protest group in favour of saving the Deanes School.
The enthusiasm and organisation of pupils and parents impress me.
What I am puzzled by is that in a strong Conservative area why residents and Councillors expect that “the State” should be expected to support an under subscribed school. If, it is proven that pupil levels are supported by intakes of youngsters from outside of the Borough, then this may well indicate that the school will in the near future become a luxury that may be difficult to support.
The residents in that part of the Borough for many years successfully protested against any form of large scale housing.
Britain is in a chronic financial state with levels of debt that are incomprehensible.
For residents to demand a school is kept open they must realise there is a price to pay.
As I said I have long since moved away from Canvey Island, due to the way the district is controlled by the Benfleet Councillors allowing the over development of the Island.
Mark my words, they know there is a price to pay for maintaining Deanes school and they will be expecting the gratitude of residents if the campaign is successful.
With elections coming up next year they will also know they cannot be seen to be allowing large scale housing development in Benfleet.
All I can say is look out Canvey, you will bear the price for this political posturing.
- Fake News and the Paddocks, Canvey Island! The Viability of a 2 Storey Community Centre, acting as a Flood Refuge remains a Secret!
- Canvey Island Nimbyism? RTPI attack on Ageism amounts to Stereotyping – who else to “Watch this Space”?
- Castle Point’s “Surgeless” Supply of Affordable Housing an Examination concern? Brighton indicate the way with Transparency!
- The Admiral Jellicoe, the Loss of Canvey’s Buildings of Local Interest, and the apparent disinterest of Castle Point Council.
- China Crisis = Answer to Canvey Island issues? Or – Castle Point’s Broken Local Plan Process “the continued development of Canvey Island is necessary”???
- Fake News and the Paddocks, Canvey Island! The Viability of a 2 Storey Community Centre, acting as a Flood Refuge r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Canvey Island Nimbyism? RTPI attack on Ageism amounts to Stereotyping - who else to "Watch this Space"?… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 days ago
- RT @LichfieldsTT: As of 31 December 2017, 52% of local authorities (outside London) did not have a post-NPPF local plan. A clear spatial p… 1 week ago
- Castle Point's "Surgeless" Supply of Affordable Housing an Examination concern? Brighton indicate the way with Tran… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 week ago
- The Admiral Jellicoe, the Loss of Canvey's Buildings of Local Interest, and the apparent disinterest of Castle Poin… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 weeks ago